Asperger Syndrome and Employment
Adults Speak Out About Asperger SyndromeeBook - 2008
This is the book we need for guidance on employment for people with Asperger's syndrome. The contributors describe their employment experiences and offer sound advice. I thoroughly enjoyed reading the success stories and took note of the words of warning of what not to do.'
- Professor Tony Attwood
Employment is an important part of a healthy, balanced and fulfilling life but less than 20 per cent of people with Asperger Syndrome (AS) are in work at any one time. The adults with AS in this book explore the issues surrounding employment, providing advice and insights for others with AS, as well as their employers and colleagues.
Drawing on personal experience and lessons learned, Asperger Syndrome and Employment looks at:
* the transition from education to employment,
* the importance of matching skills to career choices,
* practical coping strategies for employees with AS in the workplace,
* advice for employers, including the need to make `reasonable adjustments' to avoid discrimination,
* ways in which employment services ought to work for people with AS.
This is essential reading for adults with AS, their family and friends, employment services and career advisers, and companies needing to know how, in practical terms, to accommodate employees with AS.